Seaton M. Daly, III
Legal Counsel for Emerging Businesses!
Seaton Daly's law practice is focused on the representation of privately-held and non-profit organizations. He counsels start-up and early-stage businesses on choice-of-entity formation, equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, general commercial business transactions, and data privacy and cybersecurity matters.
Mr. Daly regularly works with clientele on developing strategies to mitigate the unauthorized release of mission-critical and trade secret information. In addition to his role as committee leader for the Washington Technology Industry Associations, Security Community, Mr. Daly regularly presents before a variety of business, industry and trade associations on topics related to data privacy & cybersecurity, cloud computing, e-discovery, online behavioral advertising, professional ethics in the use of social media, and data governance compliance.
As part of his commitment to improving the lives within the community he serves, Mr. Daly is involved in coaching varsity high school football, and is Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Urban Family Center of Seattle. The Urban Family Center of Seattle is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to bringing resources to underserved communities and providing mentoring services to high-risk youth.
Prior to his admission to practice law, Mr. Daly helped establish multiple startup companies within the information protection industry.
University of Oregon (B.S., 1997)
Gonzaga University, School of Law, (J.D., 2005)
Washington State Bar Association (Admitted, 2006)
Federal District Court for the Western District of Washington (Admitted, 2007)
American Bar Association (2006 to present)
Lectures, Seminars, Publications & Honors
- University of Washington, School of Information, Guest Lecturer (2009 to present).
- Washington Technology Industry Association, co-chair, Security Community Forum (2008 to present).
- University of Oregon, Athletic Hall of Fame (2005).
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Cyberspace Committee (2009 to present).
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Corporate Governance Subsection, Corporate Data Governance Policy & Procedures: Corporate Habits and Information Protection Safeguards Program, (2009).
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Cyberspace Law Committee Subsection, The Four C’s – A Remedy for Protecting Brand Reputation in a Web 2.0 World, (2010).
- Washington State Bar Association, Solo/Small Practice Division, Data Protection and the Modern Law Firm, (2009).
- Program Coordinator, American Bar Association, Business Law Section Spring 2010 Meeting, Astroturfing, Take-Downs and Anonymous Commentary: Protecting (and enhancing) Reputation Online, 2010.
- Presenter, Washington State Bar Association, Solo/Small Practice Division, New Trends, Tools, and Tips: Keeping Your Practice Current, 2011.
- Presenter, Summit on Data Governance and Business Ethics presented by IKON Office Solutions and eDocument Sciences, CCHIPS – A Self-Regulating Standard of Care for the Modern Business, 2010.
- Presenter, Institute of Internal Auditors – Puget Sound Chapter, Assessing Privacy Risks and Privacy Control Programs, 2010.
- Presenter, South Lake Union Chamber of Commerce, Business Viability & Safeguarding Informational Assets in the 21st Century, 2010.
- Presenter, Norwegian Commercial Club of Seattle, The Ombudsman: Safeguarding Information Assets in the “Information Age,” 2010.
- Presenter, Association for Women in Computing, Safeguarding Information Assets & Organizational Viability in the 21st Century, 2010.
- Presenter, East King County Bar Association, Data Governance: How We Can Better Serve Our Clients in a Web-based World, 2009.
- Presenter, National Information Security Group, Data Governance: Technology & Corporate Viability, 2009.
- Presenter, Rotary Club of Bellingham, Data Governance and Business Viability in the 21st Century, 2009.
- Presenter, Washington Technology Industry Association QA SIG, The Importance of Protecting Proprietary Information via Data Governance, 2009.
- Presenter & Host, 2008 Corporate Cyber-Security Seminar, presented by the Law Office of Seaton M. Daly III, P.L.L.C.
- Lecturer, University of Washington, School of Information, Measuring the Corporate Valuation of Information Compliance – More Than Just Checking the Box, 2009.
- Lecturer, City University of Seattle, Computer Science/Information Security Department, Data Governance: Maintaining Corporate Viability in a Web 2.0 World, 2009.
- Lecturer, Renton Technical College, Computer Networking Technology and Science Program, Developing a Corporate Data Governance Program – A Collaborative Effort, 2009.
- Panelist, Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce, Smart & Simple Strategies for Small Businesses, Data Protection and Security, 2009.
- Panelist, Washington State Bar Association, New Lawyer Education Program, 2009.